02: Database engines
In this lesson you will learn about the two main database engines in MySQL.
The MyISAM-engine supports fast data processing and supports fulltext indexing.
The InnoDB-engine supports relational referential integrity and transactions.
.The lesson consists of the following components:
- Textbook: p. 190-195 (and look for MyISAM and InnoDB in the index)
- Text (note): Storing data, a 164Kb pdf-file
- From the manual: MySQL Storage Engines and Table Types: a 281Kb pdf-file
- Article: Referential Integrity in MySQL, a 51Kb pdf-file
- Exercise + script: a 44Kb doc-file and a 5Kb text-file
Supplement: some tools for MySQL:
When you have studied this lesson:
- You should know the difference between the MyISAM and InnoDB database
- You should be able to create and use MyISAM-tables.
- You should be able to create and use InnoDB-tables.